Appeal a Determination of Not Making Satisfactory Progress or Other Academic and Administrative Grievances Procedure

Should a student disagree with the application of the University policy of Satisfactory Academic Progress or has an academic or administrative grievance (including attendance issues), he/she must first discuss the problem with the appropriate instructor/advisor. If still unsatisfied, the student may then appeal to the related Department Chair or Program Director. If the student is not satisfied with the decision, further appeal should be directed to the Provost or Administrative Vice-President (AVP) depends of the matter of the problem. The appeal should be filed no later than ten days following the date of the Department Chair or Program Director’s decision. It must be made in a timely manner to avoid delays in properly registering for the coursework to maintain satisfactory progress and/or attendance to courses. All appeals must be in writing and must contain a detailed description of any mitigating or special circumstances and should be accompanied by documented proofs.

The Provost/AVP will appoint a Committee consisting of three members from the faculty/staff. The Provost/AVP may, at his/her discretion, also elect to appoint a student member of the Committee. Every effort should be done to ensure that a fair, impartial and representative Committee hears the matter. The Provost/AVP Office shall give the respondent notification in writing that a grievance has been filed, as well as a copy of the grievance and provide a copy of the response to the complainant. The following standards for the investigation will be observed:

  1. In conducting the investigation, the Committee shall receive and review the grievance, the response, and other pertinent statements or documents in confidence.
  2. The complainant and respondent shall be given the opportunity to respond to one another’s statements, and to present witnesses or concerned parties in conformity to the evidence presented.
  3. When, in the judgment of the Committee, the positions of the complainant and respondent have been equitably heard, the Committee shall submit a written report to the President. The President will make the decision regarding any action taken. Then appeals can be filed with the Board of Trustees through the office of the President. The Board may reject consideration of some appeals.